Re: RFS: ruby-net-irc

Youhei SASAKI dijo [Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 03:48:28AM +0900]:

> > > It conflicts libnet-irc-ruby. I set Conflicts into debian/control.
> >
> > Please follow
> > http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Packaging#Renaming_existing_packages
> > since it replaces the other package.
>
> I know. Hmm...
>
> The upstream author of libnet-irc-ruby stop maintain this library, and
> said "Don't use this library". This library is for ruby1.6 (not for
> ruby1.8).
>
> The ruby-net-irc is based on "net-irc" in Rubygems.org, and completely
> different library.
>
> In current renaming practice, transitonal package of libnet-irc-ruby and
> ruby-net-irc are same package name. How do I treat it?

IMO, as this is a completely unrelated piece of software (completely
unrelated to libnet-irc-ruby), it should neither provide it or
conflict with it (unless, of course, there is a namespace clash).
I say you should, paralelly and independently, just upload
ruby-net-irc, and file a bug on ftp.debian.org requesting the removal
of libnet-irc-ruby. Maybe add a README.Debian explaining they are two
unrelated libraries, and that the new one does not provide the old
one's API nor anything similar.