Re: rails: New upstream release 2.3.5

Lucas Nussbaum dijo [Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 02:43:14PM +0100]:
> (…)
> You identify the main problem with Ruby packaging in Debian as being
> the inability to co-install several versions of applications like rails,
> because the different versions depend on different versions of some
> libraries, which are incompatible with each other.
> You blame our packaging system for that, and propose to package
> libraries as rubygems.
>
> I disagree. I think that the fundamental problem is a lack of education
> of developers in the ruby community, wrt API stability, for example.
>
> Packaging libraries as rubygems is not a valid solution, as we would end
> up packaging several versions of the same library for different
> applications, creating a hell for stable releases support, for example.

Actually… The problem is quite deeper than that. The Gem-minded Rails
community will defend Gems, but developers very seldom perform any
kind of bugfixing maintenance on older versions of their code – If
there is an important bugfix, the only advice you will get is,
"upgrade to the newest version". You will however be bitten, because
"the newest version" is most probably not API-compatible.

…So, yes, I fully back Lucas' reasoning on this aspect.

--
Gunnar Wolf • gwolf@gwolf.org • (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244