Re: ruby 1.9.1 will be ruby's stable release in december

Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Ruby 1.9.1 is supposed to be released in december 2007, and will be
> ruby's stable release.
>
> There's a lot of things that should be discussed before that, and we
> don't have much time:

The ruby packaging policy has been discussed off and on but never
concludes into a cohesive document.  I think it would be really good
if Debian Ruby could produce a Ruby Policy similar to Perl Policy and
Python Policy.  (Or perhaps I am missing something fundamental?)
Thanks for working on this problem.

> - library installation paths (see #446220):
>   a common complain heard about Debian's ruby is that we install all
>   libs in /usr/lib/ruby/1.8, mixing stdlib and third party libs. It
>   would be a good idea to move away from that in ruby1.9.

+1.  Yes please.

> - rubygems. ruby 1.9.1 will include rubygems in stdlib (it hasn't been
>   imported yet, according to drbrain@#ruby-lang). This means that we
>   will have to decide whether we continue to package libs from .tgz, or
>   if we want to package some rubygems too.
>
> I had a long discussion with Eric Hodel (brbrain), and I think that we
> should package gems.

+1.  I think gems need to be packaged if only to allow users to
continue to 'apt-get install something' that needs it.

> But there's a number of issues that should be dealt
> with first:
> - when run 'normally', gem should not install to /usr/lib/ruby/gems, but
>   to some place under /usr/local, to avoid clashes between debian
>   packages and manually installed gems.

A perl module from cpan can be installed by a non-root user that is in
the 'staff' group.  I think this would be good if the same thing could
be done using 'gem install'.  I think 'gem install' should install
non-packaged files into /usr/local by default.

> - binaries from rubygem packages should be installed to /usr/bin, while

Agreed.

>   binaries from manually installed gems should go to /usr/local.

Binaries from 'gem install' into /usr/local/bin/ ??  I am thinking
yes.  This is the same as for Perl's cpan installations.

> - rdoc documentation should be installed to /usr/share/doc
> - what about ri documentation ?

Documentation from 'gem install' into /usr/local/share/doc/ . ??

Bob