Re: About the Ruby packages split: a concrete proposal

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 02:33:00PM +1300, Stuart Rackham wrote:
> Firstly, a big thank you to Paul and collaborators for creating ruby-core
> package.

Thanks, did not do much really.  Only wanted to start the some
discussion about this, sadly it has died again without a conclusion.
Note that there are still some problems with my packages and that I hope
to address some of those issues soon.

> I whole heartedly support any move towards a single installable
> 'ruby' package that installs everything that the pristine Ruby sources
> would install.

That would mean changing the meaning of the 'ruby' package, which seems
still to be the sole point of discussion.

So I would like to ask both Ruby package users and Ruby software
packages for their opinion on the whole thing to get a better overview
over what is in peoples minds.

> Can I add my two cents worth and suggest that 'ruby' also include:
>
> - ri. It's part of the standard Ruby 1.8.2 tarball install as well as
>   being incredibly useful.

Our proposal was for ruby to recommend ri, which as much as depends
only one can opt out (since it's still a bit big) for it.  But
it's debatable indeed since 'ruby' is meant as The Whole Package (tm).

> - ruby1.8-dev. Without the development headers Ruby extension
>   libraries and rubygems that contain extension libraries fail to
>   install.

Yes, would be a good one for Recommend too.  Still had a problem
building some thing when I thought I had it all, a few days ago.

> - rubygems. Increasingly this is the ruby packaging system of choice,
>   I noted that there's already an unofficial rubygems package.

Yes, it's being worked on, as well as RPA (which still is a better
alternative IMO, at least from a Debian developer/package maintainer
perspective).  They'll both first have to mature a bit I think (the
software and the package).

> [...] I was about to reformat my hard disk
> drive in frustration and revert to Fedora when I discovered your
> posting.

Well it's not THAT much work to install it all, is it? :) Only
inconveniant and counter-intuitive I agree.  Glad you decided to stay
and give comments though!

Greetings,

Paul

--