Re: ubuntu riscv64 -> debian riscv64

On 2 Dec 2023, at 15:53, John Clark <inindev@gmail.com> wrote:

> I found ubuntu riscv64 ports and used that to debootstrap working releases of mantic/noble for the visionfive2:
> https://github.com/inindev/visionfive2/releases
> https://github.com/inindev/visionfive2/blob/main/ubuntu/make_ubuntu_img.sh
>
> I prefer to run debain linux, and am wanting to better understand what it would take to get debian riscv64 ports building regularly. It seems to me with ubuntu successfully doing this, there are not many technical challenges to having the same binary support with the debian project.
>
> PS: I have tried to subscribe to this mailing list but receive the following response: "Error: Overload"
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-riscv
>
> How have others been able to subscribe here?

Debian has been building the entire archive for riscv64 for a number of
years now. Just this year it was even promoted from an architecture in
Debian Ports (on ports-master) to being in the official Debian archive
(on ftp-master). The main issue you’ll find is that, whilst Ubuntu is
happy to produce random patched kernels for boards, Debian only
provides the mainline kernel, so hardware support can lag. But you can
always just use a custom kernel instead of the one from the archive.

Jess