Re: Near-upstream kernel for VisionFive2

Hi,

On 25-10-23, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 04:57:11PM +0530, Pratham Patel wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Oct 2023 at 16:33, Baptiste Jonglez
> > <baptiste@bitsofnetworks.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > We're trying to build a system that is as close as possible to upstream
> > > for the VisionFive2.  Here "upstream" means both Debian and Linux kernel.
> > >
> > > The current progress is here: https://framagit.org/compile-farm/debian-risc-v-build
> > >
> > > The main blockers right now are NVMe and networking.  Did anybody have
> > > success with these with a reasonable kernel config?
>
> I have seen similar networking issues on my VF2; I've had some luck with
> a stable connection by bringing up networking within u-boot before
> booting the kernel, but not had time to dig further into why the kernel
> was not capable of bringing things up fully on its own.

Interesting, thanks.  How can you bring up the network interfaces in
u-boot?  From the u-boot shell, I can see that the interfaces are active,
but I didn't find a way to enable/disable them interactively.  I'm using
the u-boot shipped on the board, I haven't updated it.

In any case, as I said in the other email, I'm pretty sure the issue comes
from the missing CONFIG_MOTORCOMM_PHY driver in the config.  The network
issue was 100% reproducible before, while with this new "motorcomm" module
it always works properly.

I believe the Debian kernel will have to enable this driver to support the
VisionFive2.

Thanks,
Baptiste