Re: RFC: use of shlib bump for libc dependency on new multiarch directories?

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:55:51PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 at 13:52:35 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > we almost certainly will not be using the path which has been enabled
> > in glibc up to now, namely /lib/i486-linux-gnu.

> I'd heard that, and was somewhat concerned about whether that'd block
> multiarch for yet another release cycle; I'm glad to hear it isn't.

> One possibility that occurred to me is adding a Pre-Depends on a new package
> ("multiarch-enabler", perhaps) which is arch:any and just contains this
> file:

>     # /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86-linux-glibc.conf
>     /lib/x86-linux-glibc
>     /usr/lib/x86-linux-glibc

> Am I right in thinking that (probably only needed for the native architecture,
> even) would be enough to "bootstrap" support for the multiarch paths in the
> native architecture's linker far enough to perform the upgrade? A future
> libc6 could even Replace it or something.

> (It'd be a bit subtle by being transitively Essential, though.)

Currently I don't see any advantage of doing it this way, rather than having
libc provide this file directly and have affected package pre-depend on
libc.  The only reason we might consider a separate binary package closer to
release is if we wind up with circular dependencies that break upgrades from
squeeze; so this is a good idea to keep in our back pocket as a fallback
plan, but until it's shown to be needed I think it's unnecessary complexity
that we should avoid.

Thanks,