Re: Release Update: timings, status and awesomeness

On 01/19/2011 03:39 PM, Philipp Kern wrote:
> well, we mainly follow [0].  The goal of this release is also to improve the
> documentation, as this was mainly copied from the Lenny point release notes.

lenny point releases do get communicated to live (see ml archives of
-live@).

but point releases (where -live builds *after* the publication of the
image, just as -cd does) are different from initial releases (where -cd
and -live are published *at the same time* as the release itself).

> There are various teams with whom this has to be coordinated in the end.  That
> also was one the points of the announcement to d-d-a.  It's true that the
> announcement actually says "core teams", but in fact that did mean ftp-masters
> and maybe a few pings on IRC.  To that extent -live was likely forgotten
> in the process.[1]

has -cd been contacted in that process? if so, then -live shall be too.

tip for the next time: if 'core' team means ftp-master for you, just
write ftp-master in the first place.

> So what's still missing for Debian live?  I do see these bugs you / the
> live team filed with RC severity:

my vac ended on monday, and apart from #603974 which is a d-i bug, they
are fixed and i'm finishing the testing i started yesterday and
uploading then. but that's not what this mail is about..

> #603974 was reopened, I guess because the fix was incomplete?  There's no
> update to the bug report since Dec 26, 2010, so I don't know what the status of
> this is.

d-i people need to comment as they know best about the changes that has
broken it.

> Did I miss critical issues?

#607225 (we don't even have an error handling for that case), #608042
(lacking progress bar, user sitts 20min in front of the machine and
thinks it's hanging, but then magically continues).

both are regressions in d-i and need d-i people to comment.

> Do you have any public pointers for this?

see various bts logs of my reported bugs where the release team things
that basically most live related bugs that are filled with serious can
be defered.

> Although I wonder if -live could just be handled by -cd during release, anyway.

if -cd team handles the testing during the release process and handles
all support afterwards for the live images that they have build and
which we don't had any control over it, i'm fine by that.

> [0] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/ReleaseCheckList

wiki.d.o seems down, therefore could not check.

Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net
Internet:       http://people.progress-technologies.net/~daniel.baumann/