Re: Freeze for LLVM packages

On 18.08.2010 07:13, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 02:09 +0200, Arthur Loiret wrote:
2010/8/16, Adam D. Barratt<adam@adam-barratt.org.uk>:
On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 22:21 +0200, Arthur Loiret wrote:
2010/8/15, Adam D. Barratt<adam@adam-barratt.org.uk>:
On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 19:01 +0200, Arthur Loiret wrote:
    - Rename the current "llvm" source package to "llvm-2.6" and
replace binaries by versioned binaries. Thus, it is allowed to have
two versions in the archive (the 2.7 version is already versioned),
just like GCC.

My primary question is "what does this gain us for Squeeze?"  I can see
that it could make future maintenance easier when llvm 2.8 hits the
archive, but that's not going to the case for Squeeze.
[...]
So far as I can see, the current packages are already co-installable,
albeit under the names "llvm" and "llvm-2.7"; that's not as clean as
might be preferable, but it would work.
[...]
In other words, here is what I want for squeeze:

[snip llvm-defaults explanation]

Thanks, that fits with what I'd expected.

As I said, my primary concern from a release point of view is whether
there are good reasons for doing the changes now, rather than waiting
for squeeze+1.

yes, get the preferred version, when installing llvm. 2.6 is a legacy version, and probably should be removed for squeeze once all packages build with 2.7. making this change now makes a possible removal of a legacy llvm-2.6 package easier.

  Matthias