Re: Security team plans for the squeeze cycle

Marc,

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 4:40 AM, Marc Brockschmidt
<marc@marcbrockschmidt.de> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> As announced on dda [RT1], we want to get an impression when releasing
> Squeeze is feasible....

> Do you have any big changes planned? How much time would they take, and
> what consequences are there for the rest of the project?

The Unicode Consortium just released Unicode 5.2 in October.  I didn't
want to reply to the above question before 5.2 was actually released.

I plan to have the almost 1000 new Unicode 5.2 glyphs in the Basic
Multilingual Plane added to the Debian unifont package by the end of
2009 (which fits in nicely with the new freeze date being in Spring
2010).  I'm also making a few tweaks to some existing glyphs as the
result of non-Debian requests that I've received.

GRUB uses the unifont package's unifont.hex source file.  I'll notify
the GRUB team ahead of time so they can test the new version and will
accommodate any needs they have for the file, as I did in the
unifont-1:5.1 releases.

Building the unifont-1:5.1 package was my first attempt at building
any Debian package.  It has multiple parts, and I finished adding the
last Unicode 5.1 glyph right before the freeze.  I would not have made
the freeze without help from my sponsor, Anthony Fok.  It looks like
this time I will have a little breathing room--and so will Anthony!

> Thanks,
> Marc
>
> [RT1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/07/msg00001.html

Paul Hardy