Re: Linux Kernel plans for the squeeze cycle

On Sun, 2009-08-16 at 14:41 +0200, Marc Brockschmidt wrote:
> Heya,
>
> As announced on dda [RT1], we want to get an impression when releasing
> Squeeze is feasible. We have proposed a (quite ambitious) freeze in December
> 2009, and some developers have noted that their planned changes wouldn't be
> possible in this time frame. So, to find out when releasing would work for
> most people, it would be great if you could answer the following questions:
>
> * Which major upstream releases of the linux kernel are expected in the
>   next two years? Which of those are material for Debian stable, which
>   might be a bit flaky?

There are no new major versions of the kernel.  There is a new "stable"
minor version about every 3 months, which includes all changes that were
considered ready following the last release.  Sub-minor versions
("stable updates") fixing critical bugs are released every few weeks for
the current minor version and for some prior minor versions.  Long-term
support for any version is left to distributors.

> * How many "big" transitions will the upcoming changes cause? When should those
>   happen? Can we do something to make them easier?

Transitions are generally gradual and we can often control them with
build configuration options to enable or disable backward-compatibility
features.  Transitions should generally be documented in
Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt.

Looking at that now, I see the following potentially disruptive removals
that may occur before squeeze freeze.  I have ignored removals that I
know we're ready for.

- Old wireless regulatory domain configuration
  - user-space needs to use a new API to specify which country's rules to use; I don't know whether this is in place yet
- Video4Linux API 1
  - user-space should use version 2
- b43 support for firmware revision < 410
  - maybe we should distribute new firmware
- Ability for non root users to shm_get hugetlb pages based on mlock resource limits

Changes to specific drivers are less well documented and may in some
cases cause real problems at upgrade time.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Power corrupts.  Absolute power is kind of neat.