Re: Add ons to Debian Lenny

Dear Peter,

Peter Johnson schrieb:
> Dear Team, July 1st I became a user of linux for the first time,
> Debian Lenny now up and running very well.

Welcome!

> My criticsym of the OS is very fudemental, I wish to play encripted
> DVDs, there is no povision to do so!and no advice how to! Playing
> encripted DVDs is fundemental to any operating system.

I'm sorry but there's no way we can do that.  Playing encrypted DVDs
need a special license, which as far as I know would need to paid for
every copy.  So we simply can't add that.

> My second point why not provde a clear list of supported hardware?
> The printer list is comprehensive and fine, so what about the Film
> scanners , the flatbeds, and the webcams?

Sorry again, but I fear we can't do much about that either.  Creating
such a list would need a huge amount of time, and we - as a volunteer
project - just don't have the time for that, not even to think about the
resources needed to test that through.

However, you could use the Debian Live CDs to test, if your system is
supported before installing it.  That's not a perfect solution, but a
quite good one.

Best regards,
  Alexander

PS: By the way: The debian-release mailing list is not very suitable for
discussions like that.  It would have been more proper on the
debian-project mailing list.