Re: excuses.php is confused about ICU

On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 17:31 -0400, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> Whatever excuses.php calls (update-excuses?) is confused about RC bug
> 530568, reported against the experimental version of ICU.
[...]
> In fact, updating ICU does not introduce new RC bugs.  I imagine that
> there is either a problem in the excuses code or that I have done
> something wrong with respect to telling the BTS which versions of the
> package contain this bug.

It's the latter.

> It seems to me that the logic should be that,
> if a bug applies to version X, it should apply automatically to version
> Y if Y > X, not if Y was uploaded more recently than X.  But I'm only
> guessing about the age anyway since I haven't looked at the code.

The BTS's version tracking is based on upload history as laid out in the
package's changelog, not version nor date comparisons.  The changelog
for icu 4.0.1-3 (unstable) included the entries for the 4.2-1 upload to
experimental, so the BTS believes that 4.0.1-3 is derived from 4.2-1;
thus, any bug that exists in 4.2-1 and is not marked as fixed in 4.0.1-3
still applies to the latter version.  This can be seen from the version
graph on http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=530568

The simplest solution in this case is to mark the bug as fixed in
4.0.1-3 as well and then as found in 4.2.1~rc1-1.  It's not correct but
will convince the BTS that 4.2.1 and 4.2.1~rc1-[12] contain the bug but
4.0.1-3 does not.

(For reference, "notfound" does not indicate to the BTS that a
particular package version does not contain a bug; it removes the
version from the explicit list of versions known to be affected, but the
rules mentioned above regarding changelog ordering still apply).

Regards,

Adam