Re: Reverting the libmpc 0.1~r435-1 upload

Am Dienstag, den 10.03.2009, 17:34 +0100 schrieb Adeodato Simó:
> Hello, Sebastian.
>
> I'm writing you to inform you that I've just made an epoched upload of
> the old libmpcdec pacakge to unstable, which means that libmpcdec-dev
> will be provided again by libmpcdec, taking over libmpc's.
>
> The recent upload of libmpc to unstable implied a SONAME bump, but it
> was not coordinated with the Release Team. However, this is not the
> reason why I've reverted your upload, since there have been already some
> other uncoordinated transitions, and I've just incorporated them to the
> list of ongoing transitions.
>
> However, libmpcdec-dev 0.1~r435-1 introduces API changes. At first I
> thought that they were only the move of include files from
> /usr/include/mpcdec to /usr/include/mpc, which would be pretty trivial
> to fix. But that is not the case: there are true API changes that are
> going to require porting of the applications, and we simply can't afford
> allowing that in unstable at the moment for a library that would tie
> itself to several ongoing transitions (ffmpeg, to begin with), and would
> block them for who knows how long.
>
> I'm not sure what your response to this mail will be. Hopefully you'll
> understand the above reasons, and when you reply, will be able to talk
> about how to do the libmpcdec transition properly, by ensuring all
> reverse dependencies have a fix in form of tested patch by the time the
> transition starts in unstable. But I must also inform you that uploads
> of libmpc to unstable are blocked until the ffmpeg transition completes.

Ok, sounds sensible and I'm sorry that this has caused some problems.
I've filed bugs on all packages that b-d on libmpc-dev about one year
ago at the time when it was uploaded to unstable and the maintainers
that talked to me afterwards said that they'll care for this after it's
uploaded to unstable.

Porting to the new API shouldn't be that hard so what would you propose
how we do this transition? I'll upload the new package with updated
epoch to experimental later today, maybe this time the maintainers of
packages that b-d on libmpc-dev also want to port their applications
before it's in unstable ;) Just tell me when you think it's a good time
to upload it again to unstable.