Re: Re: Library soversion numbers in SuiteSparse

Greetings,

Why not just use the whole library version in the soname and package
name?  For example, libsuitesparse has lib*.so.3.1.0 which is the
soname, and forget about .so.3 .  Then the soname and package name
match, so lintian is happy, and if upstream changes the interface
between 3.1.0 and 3.1.1 (let alone 3.2.0), the soname and package names
change, right?

This is what I do with petsc, spooles, hypre, parmetis, my netgen shlib
patch, and will have to do for opencascade...  And it's lintian-clean.

Cheers,
-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/