Re: Proposed release goal : icon caches

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 12:28:30 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Icon caches help improving performance of the desktop. However, the icon
> cache specification was made without much thought and doesn't cope with
> package managers at all; this is why this wasn't done for etch. We need
> to do it now, however, as many locally-installed applications or
> packages are breaking users' systems by introducing icon caches that are
> never expired.

> Thoughts anyone?

Would it be totally crazy to patch GTK+ to do two things when a cache
miss causes a missing icon to be displayed in a program:

 * Fall back to not using the cache (why doesn't GTK+ do this anyway!!)
 * Touch a flag file somewhere on disk

Then we could have a cron job that runs daily. If the flag file exists,
it regenerates the icon cache files and removes the flag file.

Regards,

--
Sam Morris