Re: gquilt: RC bug fix

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, A. Christine Spang wrote:
> How exactly does XS-Python-Version: current work? It doesn't seem to add
> the right dependencies under Depends: when I try building using
> ${python:Depends}. I get a Depends: line that looks like this:
>
>  Depends: python-central (>= 0.5.8), python-gtk2 (>= 2.4), quilt
>
> Which is why I added the hard dependency in the first place.

Why should it need to add a stricter dependency ? Bytecompilation of
private modules doesn't break when you upgrade to a newer python version.

> The only other field in the generated binary control file that I see that's
> relevant is Python-Version: current, but I don't know if or how that has
> an effect on dependencies.

This ensures that python-central will byte-compile the modules with the
current version of python (/usr/bin/python).

> > - The bounds of the range are wrong -- python (<= 2.5) is satisfied by a
> >   version number of exactly 2.5, but that would be incompatible at the
> >   bytecode level...
>
> Huh, that's right. Note that this is stated incorrectly in the
> python policy manual:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-programs.html#s-current_version_progs

Right, this is an error... but this is for "private extensions" which is
different from "private modules". Extensions are .so files, you only have
.py files.

> > - It would be nice if there were support for automatically recompiling
> >   bytecode for private modules when python is upgraded; but I guess that
> >   part of the proposed python policy didn't get spec'ed out in time?  Well,
> >   I guess it can be done with an rtupdate script, but that it's by no means
> >   required under current policy, ahwell.
>
> While I agree that this would be nice, I'm told that there is no helper
> for this yet, and I don't think it's really worth it to implement
> something like that for this package in particular before etch.

python-central takes care of all .py files from a package... so they
should be auto-bytecompiled as far as I know. For proper dependencies to be
generated you have to indicate /usr/share/gquilt/ as parameter to
dh_pycentral however.

dh_pysupport also handles this case.

Raphaël Hertzog