gnucash / glib regression

So there is, at the moment, a disagreement between the gnucash and glib
developers about whether the keyfile interface is even a supported
interface, with Josselin now suggesting that the glib maintainers simply
won't support the use of keyfiles by applications (despite it being
documented).

And, the documentation before the change clearly allowed spaces in key
names; and even addressed the questions raised about "why spaces may be
hard" (leading spaces, spaces around the equal sign) and disambiguated
the syntax.

I cannot fathom why, given that the previous behavior was documented as
a published interface with a defined syntax, such a significant change
to the syntax, and statements like "we will never support this
interface" do not constitute such significant changes to the ABI that an
soname bump is called for.

I do not want to be in the middle of this.  I trust that the release
managers will decide what they want in the release, whether it's a
broken gnucash or whatever other mysterious bugs the glib people keep
saying are fixed by this change.

Eventually upstream gnucash and glib will match.  That isn't in doubt,
and I leave it to them to duke it out.  This is an excellent example of
the whole *point* behind a freeze, which is not to make "harmless"
changes, since even "harmless" changes sometimes turn out to have very
serious consequences.

In the absence of an soname bump, it is clear that gnucash does not work
with glib version 2.12.5 and higher.  If it would not cause disasters, I
would upload a conflicting source package today, but it would in fact
cause disasters.

What I would like to see is some clear indication from the release
managers what *they* think should be done; so far the rest of us can go
around and around, but it isn't producing much resolution.  Asking
upstream has only showed that the rift is deeper than was earlier
apparent.

I would like to be *out* of the middle; I want the glib people to talk
to the gnucash people directly, and I want the release managers to start
saying what *they* think should be the resolution so that we can get to
implementing it.

I have the sinking feeling that I won't get what I want about either of
these.

Thomas