Re: python-numeric: Fails to build 2.3 version

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 21:32 pm, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > As the subject says, if I build python-numeric under pbuilder, the
> > resulting package has no contents for python2.3, nor any Provides of
> > python2.3-numeric.
>
> This is the normal behaviour of the package since in sid python2.3 is no
> more marked as supported in /usr/share/python/debian_defaults ...

It seems to me that it's a bad idea to make this change in sid while the old
python packages are frozen in etch.  The result will be: if anybody uploads
updated versions of their python packages, they will get autobuilt against
the sid packages and thus have no 2.3 contact, which is out of sync with what
would happen with people wanting to hand-build their packages locally using
etch.

I think you should decide whether you want python2.3 to be supported in etch
or not.  If you do, you should revert the changes in sid until after the etch
release; if you don't, you need to ask the release team to let the new python
packages into etch despite the freeze of "base toolchain" packages, and also
prepare a list of appropriate binNMU's needed to sync up the packages in sid
with this change.

I'm Cc'ing debian-release to get their opinion on this issue (since I don't
see any discussion on this in a quick search of the list archives for the
last month).
--
Daniel Schepler
Content analysis details:    (-4.4 points, 5.0 required)

 pts rule name              description
-1.8 ALL_TRUSTED            Passed through trusted hosts only via SMTP
-2.6 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
                            [score: 0.0000]