Re: Antique RC bugs (many about licensing)

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Daniel Kobras wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 06:40:42PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > Package: imagemagick (optional; Ryuichi Arafune) [imagemagick/6:6.2.4.5-0.7 ; =] [add/edit comment]
> > 214623 [           ] [NONFREE-DATA:UNMODFIABLE] Non-free logo included in source
> >
> > This appears to be a matter of the maintainer not paying attention, because
> > the non-free logo has been removed from the binary.  NMU?
>
> For etch and sid, I've reverted this patch because it doesn't fix
> the licensing problem and therefore just bloats the diff.
> Furthermore, one might argue that the patch actually modifies the
> original logo, which is exactly what the license intends to prevent.

This can happen, but in the meantime we should remove this logo,
creating a new orig.tar.gz, and then add the free logo back in the
diff.gz.

If upstream changes its mind and decides to freely license the logo,
the maintainers can stop repackaging upstream source.

Don Armstrong

--
"Because," Fee-5 explained patiently, "I was born in the fifth row.
Any fool would understand that, but against stupidity the very Gods