Re: sarge upgrade - linux, grub conflict

On 2006-04-17 Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:52:11PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
[...]
> > This afaik could be solved be redirecting stdout to stderr in the
> > *invocation* of update-grub in the kernel's maintainerscripts.

> > But I am sure I am missing something important. ;-)

> Please look at the discussion we had with Manoj on this around new year. We
> did try a lot of stuff, and the current is the resulting compromise. I doubt
> there is another way to handle this.

The respective changelog entry seems to be this one:
----------------------------
* Bug fix: "[powerpc] k-p 10.00x breaks debconf based /etc/kernel/*.d
  scripts like mkvmlinuz", thanks to Sven Luther. Well. In the recent
  10.X series, kernel package has started producing image packages whose
  maintainer scripts use debconf for user interaction. Unfortunately,
  this meant that any hook scripts called in the maintainer scripts for
  the image package (update-grub comes to mind), if they wrote anything
  at all to the STDOUT, would cause debconf to throw hissy fits, since
  it was expecting commands on STDOUT, not random chatter from the hook
  scripts.

  One solution was to call db_stop before calling the hook scripts, and
  redirecting stdout to stderr in hte invocation of the
  scripts. Unfortunately, this made any scripts that used debconf
  impossible.

  So, either we ban scripts that are interactive, or scripts that
  scribble on stdout.  Since the former makes some functionality
  impossible (some scripts can deliver added functionality and
  flexibility if they can interact with users), and the latter just
  needs a code change, I would prefer to ask packages that provide
  scripts to be used in kernel image postinst/postrm to use debconf for
  user interaction, and to send diagnostics to STDERR.
                                                            (Closes: #344413)

I guess it applies not only to /etc/kernel/*.d but to postinst_hook
in /etc/kernel-img.conf. (Which seems to be the way /sbin/update-grub
is triggered on _my_ sarge system.)

cu andreas

--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute