Re: bug in tar 1.14-2.1

On 2006-03-25 Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com> wrote:
[...]
> However, I don't immediately understand why the auto* tools are being
> invoked by make during this build?
[...]

ametzler@argenau:/tmp$ lsdiff -z tar_1.14-2.1.diff.gz | \
                                 egrep -v '/debian/|/src/'
tar-1.14/config/config.guess
tar-1.14/config/config.sub
tar-1.14/po/de.po
tar-1.14/configure.ac
tar-1.14/doc/tar.texi

You are patching configure.ac, which causes auto* to try to regenerate
./configure. Remove the patchlet and it should build fine. As you are not
shipping the corresponding change to ./configure the thing is
ineffictive anyway, unless you are rebuildung on a system that has the
whole auto* shebang installed.[1]

hth, cu andreas

[1] It actually FTBFS for me, with auto* installed:
cd . && /bin/bash /tmp/tar-1.14/config/missing --run aclocal-1.8 -I m4
aclocal: m4/gettext.m4: 378: macro `AM_LC_MESSAGES' not found in library
aclocal: macro `jm_GLIBC21' required but not defined
make: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute