BinNMU for ftgl-dev?

I've been trying to track down a FTBFS problem with gnubg on hppa and m68k
and I think I've finally figured it out.  gnubg uses ftgl-dev for 3D text,
and ftgl-dev builds only a static C++ library.  The build on hppa and m68k
fails with lots of undefined symbol errors from libftgl.a, most notably
__gxx_personality_sj0 and _Unwind_SjLj_Register (and friends).

It looks like what's happened is that between gcc 3.3 and gcc 4.0, hppa
and m68k have both moved away from SJLJ exception handling (yay!), but
ftgl-dev's static library hasn't been rebuilt with a g++ that uses the new
exception handling.  As a result, when that static library is linked with
a current gcc, the linked libsupc++ and libgcc_eh don't include those
symbols and the link fails.

Is this something that would be fixed with a binNMU of ftgl-dev?  Or
should I file a regular bug against the package and ask for a regular
upload?  It seems to work correctly on all platforms other than hppa and
m68k.

Also, if anything looks faulty about my analysis above, please let me
know.