permission to upload tiff 3.7.2 to unstable

tiff-3.7.2 is a bug-fix release and contains no ABI changes from
3.7.1.  However, since we were requested to avoid unnecessary uploads
of new upstream versions and since the tiff library has many reverse
dependencies, I'm requesting permission from the release team to
upload 3.7.2 even though we are pre-freeze.

libtiff 3.7.2 is a bug-fix release from 3.7.1 and includes many
important bug fixes, several of which are already present in the
debian 3.7.1 packages, but some of which are not.  In fact, this
version of libtiff has fixes for all the old bugs reported in the
debian BTS, so the only patch required against 3.7.2 is updating the
soname (as we have been doing since the tiff transition of last
summer).

I have carefully inspected the diffs between 3.7.1 and 3.7.2 and am
quite sure that there are no ABI changes in this version.  The header
file changes are very short and contain nothing that could break
compatibility.  There are some new C++ interfaces, but they are
isolated and in a separate library from libtiff4.  There are also
declarations of some new color-related functions.

Given this information, does the release team object to my uploading
3.7.2 into unstable so that it can be the version in sarge?  I don't
think it's necessary to stage this in experimental since the changes
are pretty small, but I'd of course do that if requested to do so.  If
the release team tells me not to upload 3.7.2 to unstable before
sarge, I'll put it in experimental.

(Please let me know if you think I should have just made a decision on
this without consulting the release team.  I still prefer to err on
the side of caution with the tiff packages.)

--Jay

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>