Re: libtiff 3.7.0 for sarge?

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 08:03:33PM -0500, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> I (in discussion with others) had decided earlier to wait until Sarge
> before packaging tiff 3.7.0, but there are now four reasons why I
> think we should move ahead:

>  * tiff 3.7.0 has been out for some time now and has had time to be
>    shown to be stable

>  * a handful of debian tiff package bugs currently outstanding or
>    recently fixed are either fixed in 3.7.0 or have been backported
>    from 3.7.0

>  * 3.7.0 is definitely binary compatible with 3.6.1, so no library
>    transition is required

Does this mean that no new functions have been added and the shlibs will not
need to be changed, or does it just mean that the package name will not need
to be changed?  Even an shlibs bump is problematic at this point, because
any problems discovered in libtiff after upload can cause delays for other
packages that are also trying to get into testing right now.  This wouldn't
rule it out entirely, but it means the timing of any upload would need to be
coordinated.

>  * Other big packages, like GNOME 2.8, are going into Sarge.

Which doesn't carry much weight as an argument; updates should be decided on
individual technical merits.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer