Re: Dropping 386 support

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 00:31 +0200, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 06:01:31PM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> > The kernel team is considering dropping 386 support (the 80386
> > processor, not the i386 arch) from Debian.  Currently, in order to
> > support 386, we include a 486 emulation patch (the patch can be viewed
> [...]
> > Comments?  Thoughts?
>
> I think the following should pretty much outline the current opinion
> of the release team (at least vorlon and me agreed explicetly on it):
>
> We're in favor of keeping a -386 kernel image that is compiled with
> the patch activated and therefor runs on real i386 machines. It
> should be mentioned in the release notes and in the description
> of the option in the kernel config that it has known security risks
> and that there may no fix for this available in the near or even far
> future. That leaves i386 users the choice whether they want to accept
> the risk or if they want to stay on older software (which probably has
> its own risks). As the patch doesn't has any affects on all other
> machines we think this is an acceptable solution.

Works for me.

> Has the current image compiled the patch in? (I haven't checked
> that yet)

Yes, it does.

> If yes, there should be no problem at all to implement this solution
> (as long as the patch works). If no, the d-i team will have to speak

Heh, that's the rumor.  Can't say that I've actually tested it. :)

> up and say if a new kernel image could still be added before release
> with reasonable effort. As most 386 machines will already fail to
> satisfy other requirements of d-i (as RAM), it may even be acceptable
> only support 386 via upgrades or manual installation...
>
> I will begin next week with some upgrade tests from woody on a 386
> machine and could then handle the further steps like creation of
> a upgrade-i386 directory with backported modutils, initrd-tools
> and a current kernel-image.

If someone from the kernel or glibc team had access to a real 386, we
might be able to make (userspace) support work.  Would it be possible to
get access to this machine?

--
Andres Salomon <dilinger@voxel.net>