Re: Re: Upload of GNOME 2.6 to unstable

Hello AJ, hello List,

i've been upgrading to gnome 2.6 from experimental for some time, and i
must say i'm quite impressed: it just works for me and i like it much.

There are two things i see (from a user and -dev-user point of view) we
_really_ need to do before sarge, or it will annoy us for a long time.
They are not gnome2.6 specific.

1. the move of gconf settings from /etc/gconf to /var/gconf.
These are overdue. It was a mistake putting them into /etc at the first
time; when i maintained galeon that annoyed me actually.
the proposed model with "installed" vendor-defaults in /var/gconf,
distribution and administrator defaults as well as overrides in
/etc/gconf as proper conffiles (won't be many, if any) is good.

2. gnutls. That was one bug that had bitten me: gnumeric from unstable,
gnomeprint from experimental caused linking of two different gnutls
versions... gnutls needs versioned symbols before sarge release.

Both of these points should be done even if gnome2.6 doesn't get
uploaded to unstable before sarge release.

But these two things are the biggest bugs i seen in gnome2.6 from
experimental right now (of course the ports are an issue!)

Greetings,
Erich