Re: libpam-heimdal vs. new krb4 & friends?

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 11:54:52PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> From bjorn.haxx.se:
> ># Updating krb4 makes 1 packages uninstallable on alpha: libpam-heimdal
> ># Updating krb4 makes 3 packages uninstallable due to depending on
> >krb4: arla, heimdal, cyrus-sasl2

> So it looks like libpam-heimdal is the only thing preventing the
> arla/heimdal/cyrus-sasl2/krb4 group from going in.  (Of course they have
> to wait for heimdal to build on the the three arches whose buildds are
> still down, too.  And I could be missing an arch-specific issue.)

> I don't use it myself. :-)
> However, I'm guessing one of two things is true:
> * It doesn't break when krb4, heimdal, and cyrus-sasl2 go in together,
> and the scripts are just overly conservative.
> This would be the case if it currently works in unstable.

> * It does break.  In this case it must also be broken in unstable.
> (libpam-heimdal hasn't been uploaded since 2002.)  In this case it
> probably just needs a rebuild.  Although if it breaks, it's been broken
> for a while; since its maintainer also maintains the heimdal package,
> and libpam-heimdal has no open bugs against it, that would seem
> surprising and unlikely to me.

> I'm not comfortable installing and testing it to find out which is true.
>  Maybe someone just happens to know, of course.

A look at the Packages file for alpha should be enough to show which is
the case:

Package: libpam-heimdal
Section: net
Installed-Size: 104
Maintainer: Brian May <bam@debian.org>
Architecture: alpha
Version: 1.0-16
Depends: libc6.1 (>= 2.3.1-1), libkrb5-17-heimdal (>= 0.4e-22)

It depends on libkrb5-17-heimdal, which is provided by both the testing
and unstable versions of the heimdal package.  This is a bug in the
bjorn.haxx.se output, which failed to detect the transitive
relationship: hinting in krb4, heimdal, and cyrus-sasl2 together should
be sufficient to keep everything happy (once heimdal is again a
candidate).

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer