Re: R 4.0.0 is here, transition is stalled

Le Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 06:35:58PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :

> But the transition seems stalled.  I am a little worried because there is one
> (for GNU GSL) which has been in "real soon now mode" for half a year.

Hi Dirk and everybody,

I had a look at the collisions listed on the r-api-4.0 transition page:

 * auto-gsl through r-bioc-dirichletmultinomial, r-cran-gsl, r-cran-rcppgsl

As you are the maintainer, maybe you can instruct the Release team which
you think should go first ?

 * auto-hdf5 through r-bioc-rhdf5, r-bioc-rhdf5lib, r-cran-hdf5

A hdf5 transition was just completed and the current one in the tracker
is about the next one.  Hopefully it means we go first.

 * auto-icu through r-cran-stringi

I also do not see mention of this one in bugs.debian.org or in
debian-release@l.d.o; let's cross the fingers we can go first.

 * auto-netcdf through r-cran-ncdf4, r-cran-rnetcdf

The transition is ongoing, and only two package are holding it: vtk7 and
qgis, for build issues on mips64el and mipsel.  Nevertheless, I see that
the buildds are running now, so let's cross fingers.

 * auto-nodejs through r-cran-v8

Not started, and no visible dicussions…

 * python3.7-rm through r-cran-fastcluster

The transition is ongoing and one of the packages holding it is
python-biopython, because of a build failure on mipsel which is caused
by the clustalo tool (#956324).  Members of the Debian Med team,
if we want to accelerate the R transition, we need to move the clustalo
bug out of the way :)

> Would it be polite to nudge, or not?  What is the best process?

Yes, I think that it would be worth contacting the Release team about
the auto-gsl transition.  Would you like to hold it before the R one is
completed ?

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy