Re: Some KDE libs still use .kde4 instead of .kde?

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> wrote:
> On Thursday, 2009-10-22, George Kiagiadakis wrote:
>
>> This cdbs makefile is no longer used in our packages. What is reading
>> .kde4 is Qt, not kde.
>>
>> Take a look at this code:
>> http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/blobs/master/src/gui/kernel/qapplication_x11.
>> cpp#line889
>>  http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/blobs/master/src/gui/kernel/qkde.cpp#line59
>>
>> In short, Qt prefers reading from .kde4 if it is there, which is the
>> correct thing to do, given that Qt has no idea which is the default
>> KDEHOME.
>
> How can this be considered the right thing to do?
>
> KDEHOME defaults to $HOME/.kde if not set
>
> Checking for whether $HOME/.kde4 exists when KDE is in version 4 could be
> considered as a fallback when $KDEHOME is empty and $HOME/.kde does *not*
> exist.
>
> The very moment either $KDEHOME is set or $HOME/.kde exists than that path is
> the only correct choice.

>From a strict kde developer's point of view, you are right, this is
not the right thing to do. However, this code was added to workaround
problems that used to appear when various distributions were shipping
kde3 with ~/.kde as KDEHOME and kde4 with ~/.kde4. Debian was one of
them. At that point of time, for most people ~/.kde was kde3 settings
and ~/.kde4 was kde4 settings, so for Qt4 to read correctly kde4
settings, it had to read ~/.kde4, although ~/.kde was also there.
Probably a more correct choice would be to use "kde4-config
--localprefix" or maybe just let the distros patch Qt4. Anyway, this
code behaves wrong now for debian, so I guess we will patch it.

Regards,
George