Re: KGoldrunner bug reports 172925 and 172926

On Saturday 18 October 2008 11:04:48 you wrote:
> Would you like me to try and change this, i.e. put Russell Coker
> as the reporter and leave you out of the loop?  Or I could just CC
> Russell, so then you would both get feedback.

Ian,

Sorry for not following up and thanks for your followup with Russell.

What we have is a bug reported in the first instance to the Debian bug tracking
system (BTS), which the Debian maintainer of the package looks over and then
if it is a Debian integration issue fixes. If it is an upstream issue, then we
generally forward upstream, as I have done here.

Some users, Russell in particular like to report their bugs to the Debian BTS,
as they then have all their reports in one location, and the Debian maintainer
can then progress.  Myself I would actually prefer they did report upstream
issues directly upstream and only if it is likely to effect a number of Debian
users then also have an entry in the BTS.  The other issue is many upstream
bug trackers use a web interface and require authentication, whilst the Debian
BTS is email based and thus has a lower entry cost for some users.

I was unaware you were able to change the reporter in the KDE bug tracking
system.  Ideally the reporter would be xxxx-submitter@bugs.debian.org, that
way the Debian BTS would remain synced with all updates on the bug report as
well. When I try and set a Cc to an arbitrary email address Bugzilla tells me
it is unable to match, but I see you have managed to get russell as a Cc:

How did you do that?

I can recommend that you as an upstream author do subscribe (email) to the
Debian Package Tracking System (PTS), or even better if you have a -devel or a
-users list subscribe that to the PTS for your package.  That way you will
receive bugs reports as soon as they are reported and you will also be aware
of the state of your package in Debian.  For a package like kdegames the
volume would be very low:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/k/kdegames.html

Mark