Re: lurker ftbfs with newest mimelib (3.4.2)

hello,

the new kdepim packages in debian/unstable (3.4.2) bring new depends for
mimelib too. up to now, libmimelib1(a,-dev) didn't depend on any kde
libraries.
therefore packages which use libmimelib didn't have to install big
kde/qt libs for being build.

latest libmimelib1-dev now depends on libkdepim1-dev, which depends on
kdelibs4-dev and this way brings tons of new build-depends for packages
which build-depend on libmimelib1-dev.

i maintain lurker, a mailinglist archiver, and after contact with
upstream (see above) i believe that this is a bug in the new debian
kdepim packages.
it seems like mimelib doesn't really require qt3 headers or even kde
libraries, but the packages create dependencies.

what do you think about this situation? could the depends for
libmimelib1-dev be relaxed again?

here's the discussion with lurker upstream:

On 07/09/2005 Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2005, at 2:14 PM, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> >newest kdepim (3.4.2) brings a updated mimelib which now depends on
> >qt3 development headers.
>
> That sucks.
>
> >on the other hand, that new build-depend requires a lot more qt/kde
> >libs to be installed, and thus makes it a pain to build lurker on
> >non-x server machines.
>
> Are we sure this dependency is more than just how they linked it?
> AFAICS, there is no reason for mimelib to depend on kde.
> Perhaps this is a bug in KDE and/or the debian packages of KDE?
>
> >i doubt that mimelib is the only library to handle mime types, and
> >maybe lurker should move to another one, which is not part of a big
> >project as kde.
>
> mimelib is not part of the KDE project. <http://www.hunnysoft.com/
> mimepp/> KDE happens to include it in their releases, that's all.

so why are the debian packages built out of kdepim sources instead of
using the upstream releases?

maybe the kde/qt maintainers have a good reason? or is it just because
nobody complained up to now?

...jonas