Struggling with dpkg-buildpackage with kdebase (latest CVS)

I am trying to build myself some up to date debs (in a sid chroot inside my
existing debian system)

The apidocs part is failing - thus.

Error: tag HTML_HEADER: header file `../apidocs/common/header.html' does not
exist
make[3]: *** [apidox-am-yes] Error 1

In checking up, it appears that ../apidocs/common is a unsatisfied link to
/usr/share/doc/HTML/en/common  (the HTML directory does not yet exist in my
chroot  - despite having installed kdelibs from the freshly built debs)

The relevent piece of makefile in kdebase/admin/Doxyfile.am seems to be the
following.

               if test ! -x $(top_builddir)/apidocs/common; then \
                        if test -d $(top_srcdir)/doc/common; then \
                           common_dir=`cd $(top_srcdir)/doc/common && pwd` ;\
                        else \
                           common_dir=$(kde_libs_htmldir)/en/common ;\
                        fi ;\
                        $(LN_S) $$common_dir $(top_builddir)/apidocs/common; \
                fi ;\

Which sort of makes me think that $(kde_libs_htmldir) is being set to the
final target rather than the obj-i386-linux build directory during the
building of the debs.  I presume in most peoples case they will have
established the /usr/share/docs/HTML hierarchy from previous builds so not
noticed the problem.

I've scouted around the KDE CVS repository looking for recent relevent changes
around this area and I can't find any - normally an indication that I am way
off beam with my thinking.  Since I am new to this area and on a steep
learnign curve, can anyone shortcut this for me and help me understand why it
is like the way it is (and what needs to change).

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk