Re: Bad install defaults for KDElibs

On Friday 12 December 2003 20:29, Chris Cheney wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 03:03:40PM +0100, Achim Bohnet wrote:
> > On Friday 12 December 2003 13:31, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > in the package kdelibs-data the /etc/kderc file is present (its a
> > > symlink), this is not very nice since that means it becomes impossible to
> > > have another version of KDE running on the same machine.
> >
> > Right.  I usualy delete the file.  dpkg-divert did not work (tried long ago).
>
> I don't understand why deletion is actually needed as mentioned below,
> but ymmv.

Hi Chris,

yes, mmdv ;)  /etc/kderc settings affect all KDE installation on host.
/usr/share/config/system.kdeglobals (aka /etc/kde3/system.kdeglobals)
affects only those with $prefix=/usr, e.g., not the private kde cvs
install of a user.

> > > KDE allows multiple versions by using the KDEDIR env-var to be set before
> > > calling startkde.  Unfortunately the new (own-compiled) version will then
> >
> > KDEDIR is no solution for Debian because debian follows the fhs and can't
> > install everything under a common root KDEDIR.   Next environment var are
> > fragile and error prone.
>
> Indeed, I don't even think if Debian tried to use KDEDIR it would work
> for the reason mentioned below about how kde_confdir works.
>
> > > find the paths to the /usr/bin and /usr/lib and start using that, getting
> > > a nice mix of versions on my desktop.
> > >
> > > I recommend to use KDEDIR and friends instead of the kderc file.
> >
> > No need for KDEDIR(S):  KDE std dir lookup includes
> >
> >   a) /etc/kderc				# used by all KDE installations
> >   b) $kdeconf_dir/system.kdeglobals	# aka /etc/kde3/ on Debian
> >   c) hardcoded stuff in kstandarddirs.cpp(.in)
> >
> > As a) points to b),  a) is just a duplicate but at the same time
> > confuses other parallel KDE
> > installations.  AFAIR remember most (if not all) vars in system.kdeglobals
> > are identical to compiled in values in kstandarddirs.cpp(.in).  All derived from
> > debian/debiandirs file.
>
> If you don't use /etc/kderc and don't store configs in
> $prefix/share/config (iow use /etc/kde3) then KDE will not know where

But Debian stores config in $prefix/share/config -> /etc/kde3, right?
Therefore system.kdeglobals is found and there's no need for /etc/kderc.

> to locate other files since it forces everything to be located under the
> $prefix it was installed in. IOW $kdeconf_dir = $prefix/share/config
> which is hardcoded into the library itself, yes its a f*cking nasty
> hack (KDE is filled with them), but I don't know how to patch around
> it cleanly so I just use the /etc/kderc to override it. Also the KDE
> lookup looks in KDEDIR before /etc/kderc or did the last time I checked.
>
> For example:
>
> /home/ccheney/.kde/bin/:/usr/local/bin/:/usr/bin/
>
> with KDEDIR=/opt/kde3 it should show as:
>
> /home/ccheney/.kde/bin/:/opt/kde3/bin:/usr/local/bin/:/usr/bin/
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> BTW the only things I have listed in system.kdeglobals now are things
> that differ from upstream KDE since I realized the others weren't really
> needed.

> For reasons noted above KDE definitely would notice...

Not here.  Try, with /usr/share/config -> /etc/kde3:

for d in `kde-config --types | awk '{print $1}'`; do kde-config --path $d; done

once with and once without the /etc/kderc -> kde3/system.kdeglobals links
I've never found a difference here.

Achim

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com