Re: Suggesstion to remove lxdoom

> > On Tuesday 7 August 2007 01:24, Moritz Muehlenhoff
> > wrote:
> > > I've seen that lxdoom has been orphaned. It can be
> > > safely removed: While lxdoom is completely dead
> > > upstream, we have a cleaned-up fork of lxdoom in the
> > > archive, which is actively maintained: prboom.

I'm glad to see this. I've tried to contact the maintainer
to suggest orphaning it or even co-maintenance (to ease a
planned transition with the doom related pseudo packages
etc.) but never got a response.

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 06:08:23PM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff
wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 12:13:51PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst
> wrote:
> > Is it a drop in replacement? Then we could make it a
> > transional package.
>
> AFAICS, yet. But let's ask Jon, the current maintainer.
> CCing him.

Good question: I believe so, yes. prboom is a direct
decendent of lxdoom and should support all the same
command-line flags and functionality.

The lxdoom package requires two external sound servers
(sndserv and musserv) which prboom doesn't (handled by SDL).
It also has two video backends: X11 and svgalib. Prboom is
build against SDL which has X11 and svgalib backends Of
course it's ill advisable to use svgalib anymore and
prboom/sdl have the fbcon backend too.

Seeing as lsdoom is a suid binary, and the doom source is
notoriously full of holes (some people are even writing code
to lovingly reproduce the effect of some of the buffer
overflows as happened in the original DOS version) I'd
encourage lxdoom's removal.

For a transitional package, lxdoom could point directly at
prboom, and you could use something like

	#!/bin/sh
	set -u
	set -e

	SDL_VIDEODRIVER=svgalib
	export SDL_VIDEODRIVER
	/usr/games/prboom

...as a wrapper-replacement for lsdoom, although I'm not
sure that is worth the effort.

--
Jon Dowland