Re: Rebuilding all etch packages inside etch

On 18/10/06 at 11:13 +0200, Filippo Giunchedi wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 09:36:26AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > > Nice.  How much time would a complete archive rebuild take?
> >
> > The build of the 9716 source packages which I was able to build on AMD64
> > took a total time of 790936s (9 days, 4 hours). So it should
> > theoritically be possible to build in a bit more than 2 hours, but some
> > packages seem to take too long for that:
>
> will the grid improve performance by using tools like ccache? This might improve
> rebuild times though, not first-time builds.

I could use it, yes. But it would require a shared storage somewhere,
and I fear that the network/storage pressure will be too important. It's
probably easier for me to just increase the number of nodes if I want to
build faster. (but this doesn't solve the "slow builds" problem).

> Anyway, how is the build already splitted across nodes automatically? or
> something like make -j<largeinteger> should do? (this is only out of curiosity)

I'm keeping it as simple as possible. A special node is in charge of
distributing packages amongst nodes. It just ssh to the node and run a
wrapper around sbuild. So each build happens on only one node.
Nodes are bi-amd64, but most builds probably only use one CPU.

I'm not really interested in building faster currently: I would prefer
to build more reliably (have less failures). I fear that increasing
complexity of the build environment will also increase the number of
false positives.