Re: Bugs, usertags, and including more people

On 8/3/05, Gustavo Franco <stratus@debian.org> wrote:

> The difficulty of solving a bug can't be tracked so easily. What's hard
> to me will be easy for others and sometimes it's a moving target.

Indeed.  It's not like tagging a bug 'easy' would be written in stone.
 Someone may read the bug report and think that finding the problem is
easy.  Maybe, after further investigation from someone actually trying
to solve the bug, it might be discovered that it was actually quite
hard, then the tag could be changed.

Many times it's possible to assess how hard or how difficult it is to
fix a bug, specially for the maintainer of a package.

Maybe we could a "need to investigate" level as well.

> I feel comfortable with wontfix, moreinfo, unreproducible, pending and some
> others tags only. These aren't a drop-in replacement but works, imo.

No, this is not the idea, and it won't work as what I want to do.

I want to create a new sort of listing that makes bugs that need
fixing appealing, for people that are not maintainers, so that they
will contribute with patches.  The current tags do not serve this
purpose.

If you are comfortable with the current tags, that's great, because
they aren't changing. The usertags are a way for tagging bugs without
intruding into the maintainer's way of handling bugs.  In this
particular case, it's a way of categorizing bugs from the random
contributor point of view, which isn't usually the same as the
maintainer's point of view.

--
Besos,
Marga