Re: dome

On 09/02/11 19:49, fcel2001 wrote:
> hi
>
> why "dome" packet is not included in debian version later than lenny ?
> http://packages.debian.org/lenny/dome

http://packages.qa.debian.org/d/dome/news/20090526T070156Z.html

RM: dome -- RoQA; orphaned, upstream is dead, better alternatives, low
popcon

Please see the following reasons for the removal request:

* Package is orphaned.
* Upstream is dead (latest release is from 2002).
* Better alternatives.
* Few users - a popcon of 56 users only.

There are no reverse depends.

> Before finding this packet, I was asked to create a packet from source
> or to submit it to wnpp http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/ as you can see
> here: http://forum.debianizzati.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=42699
>
> now what should I do ?

Take the source code from Lenny, create an account somewhere like
SourceForge and fix the code. Learn how to package for Debian, use
mentors.debian.net to find a sponsor (maybe) and reintroduce the package
as the new upstream developer.

OR

Just use the package from Lenny. It hasn't changed - that's the main
reason it was removed, along with no evidence of any significant user-base.

--

Neil Williams