Re: Please recompile packages against libmysqlclient12.

Hello,

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 12:45:45PM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:

> The shared library of the MySQL database changed its .so-major-version.
> Therefore I changed the package name
> 	from libmysqlclient10, libmysqlclient10-dev
> 	to   libmysqlclient12, libmysqlcleint-dev (w/o version)

> Please rebuild your packages at least once before the next release as
> libmysqlclient10 is no longer available and will probably vanish from
> the packages list very soon.

Unfortunately, the SONAME is not all that's changed.

$ apt-cache policy libmysqlclient12
libmysqlclient12:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 4.0.12-3
  Version Table:
     4.0.12-3 0
     ^^^^^^^^
        500 ftp://ftp-mirror.internap.com unstable/main Packages

The new libmysqlclient12 package comes from MySQL 4.0.  It has been
known for some time that the libmysqclient library in MySQL 4.0 would
*not* be released under the LGPL: it is GPL only.  If your package which
links against libmysqclient is not GPL-compatible, or if your package is
a library which is used by other GPL-incompatible packages in Debian,
you cannot upload your package built against libmysqlclient12.

As maintainers of the PHP4 packages for Debian, Adam Conrad and I intend
to resurrect libmysqlclient10 as a separate source package to maintain
license compatibility.  We would, however, appreciate help from
maintainers of other MySQL-using packages: not only will
libmysqlclient10 need a Debian maintainer, it also effectively needs an
upstream maintainer for the forked version, so there's plenty of work to
go around.  Moreover, if PHP was the only affected package, we could use
the mysql lib bundled with PHP upstream; and if no one cares enough to
help us with this new package, that's probably what we'll do. :)

The new source package, which I hope to upload today, will be named
libmysqlclient-lgpl.  Binary package names will by libmysqclient10 and
libmysqlclient10 for compatibility.

Regards,
--
Steve Langasek