Depressing bug statistics

We've all heard that the bug count in Debian is rising... some may
have argued that this is because we have an increasing number of
packages in the archive.  I just looked at the data from over 2 years
of packages in the base system.  The definition of "base system"
changes as some packages get removed while others are added (ae being
an example of a package which was removed at some point).  That's why
I looked at 83 important packages (see attachment) whose status has
not changed.  And the result is depressing... see for yourself:
http://bugs.debian.org/~tbm/base_bugs.png

I think we should promote co-maintainers for important packages and
try to get people to submit patches for open bugs to help the
maintainers.  (No news here, but we should *really* do it now.  Yes, I
mean really.)

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com