Re: Python 3.10 in bookworm

Hi Andrey,

On Mon, Feb 06, 2023 at 11:53:33AM +0100, Andrey Rakhmatullin wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2023 at 01:50:34PM +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > Our social contract #4 says "Our priorities are our users and free
> > software".  What benefits would having the python3.10 base packages in
> > bookworm bring for our users (as I point out, for some users, this is
> > a necessity) and what disadvantages would it bring (none that I can
> > think of)?  Why would we tell a whole bunch of our users: "Don't
> > upgrade to Debian 12 until all of the critical packages you use from
> > PyPI are upgraded to support Python 3.11, or fix those packages
> > yourself"?
> The next obvious step for these use cases is to just install 3.10 with
> pyenv.

Oh, that's brilliant!  I didn't know about this tool (and I note it's
not currently in Debian).

This solution for users who need Python 3.10, together with the
support burden of having python3.10 in bookworm (which I hadn't
appreciated), I withdraw my objection to the removal of python3.10.

Best wishes,

   Julian