Re: Python 2 support for Bullseye

Hi Moritz (2020.10.16_18:33:06_+0000)
> > not ok. That would mean removing pypy3 from the archive as well. If you don't
> > want to support Python2, then why do you care about it's removal for bullseye+1?
>
> Ok. I assumed the need for Py2 in pypy3 was a temporary thing? If it's needed
> for longer (is there an estimate of sorts?), I'm also fine with keeping
> it longer.

Sorry, rather late to this thread.

PyPy upstream is looking at converting the rpython toolchain to python3,
but I wouldn't expect progress any time to. So, I'll continue to need
some form of python2.7 (python2.7 or pypy) to build pypy3 for the
foreseeable future.

pypy (2.7) uses python2.7 to build itself on architectures where that's
faster than using pypy (architectures where pypy has no JIT).

But pypy could be entirely self-hosted and then python2.7 could be
dropped from the archive. Downside: manual bootstrapping of pypy would
be required on new archs & after certain build failures. I assume this
will have to happen at some point.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera