Re: Help needed to test packages with Django 1.7

On Sun, 03 Aug 2014, Brian May wrote:
> > Django 1.7 final isn't even released upstream, and therefore, downstream
> > projects didn't even try to run against it. There *will* be issues we
> > will have to deal with. 85 packages is quite something. I'm ok, and even
> > welcome to *try* to make it before Jessie, though it is my view that
> > it's unreasonable to rush without taking care of possible breaking.

I already explained you in another thread on debian-release, that it's not
reasonable security-wise to release Jessie with Django 1.6. And you're
well placed to know what it means to maintain a package that gets security
updates very often...

We have very few Django end-users apps in Jessie, so let's try to take
care of those but it's not a problem if some of the Django "extensions"
(i.e. apps available for integration in custom developments that have
almost no reverse dependencies) are dropped from jessie.

> > FYI, I'm trying to deal with python-memcache support for Python 3.4.
> > Until that one is fixed, I wont be able to add support for Python 3 in
> > keystoneclient, and therefore *a lot* of other packages will have no
> > Python 3 support. I've tried to forward port a patch from
> > python3-memcached, though it's still not ready, and unit tests are
> > failing. Julien Danjou (eg: acid@d.o) wrote to me he'll try to find time
> > to help. I really hope this one issue will be fixed soon, so that I can
> > work on adding Python 3 everywhere possible in OpenStack, though right
> > now it's a major blocker. I also hope we can upstream Python3 support
> > for memcached, as the python3-memcached fork has been a major waste IMO.

If you aren't able to deal with Django 1.7 support and Python 3 support
before the freeze, please treat python 3 support as lower priority to Django
1.7 support. That said it would be nice to have both.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/