python-django build weirdness

Hello,

From a wheezy box, I am running the following commands:

dget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/python-django/python-django_1.5.4-1.dsc
cd python-django-1.5.4
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -sa 2>&1 | tee $logfile

For different values of $logfile.

If I run this from my home directory, it works. Every time.

If I run this instead from /tmp/brian/tmp.rJDf6JJXaz - it fails. It always fails at exactly the same point.

FAIL: test_instance_is_maintained (django.contrib.formtools.tests.wizard.wizardtests.tests.WizardFormKwargsOverrideTests)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/brian/tmp.rJDf6JJXaz/python-django-1.5.4/django/contrib/formtools/tests/wizard/wizardtests/tests.py", line 375, in test_instance_is_maintained
    self.assertEqual(2, User.objects.count())
AssertionError: 2 != 3

Ran 5009 tests in 463.080s

FAILED (failures=1, skipped=126, expected failures=5)

I get identical results building using a clean, wheezy, schroot. However chose not to use my schroot setup here as it is simpler.

Curiously the order of copying/creating files and the tests is different for both cases too (according to diff of the log). If I rerun the test on the same file system, I get identical results. My theory is the different ordering of the tests is causing the failure.

So I thought maybe some sort of filesystem specific bug, maybe due to different iteration order of files or something. This doesn't make sense though, as I would expect different results every time. Also both filesystems are ext4, on LVM, using the same LVM VG, from the same source disk.

/dev/mapper/aquitard-debian on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data="">
/dev/mapper/aquitard-home on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data="">

Both filesystems have plenty of space:

/dev/mapper/aquitard-debian            19G   17G  1.2G  94% /
/dev/mapper/aquitard-home              19G   14G  4.1G  77% /home

Yes, /tmp is in /, it doesn't have a separate filesystem.

I considered the possibility that the build looks for /tmp and does something different (however dodgy that might be), however it looks like /aaa has the same issues as /tmp.

Any ideas?

Still doing some more tests, however this is just plain weird. Will try rebooting my system in case of some weird kernel issue (currently running 3.10-0.bpo.2-amd64).

Also, I didn't have any problems with python-django version 1.5.1-2
--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>