Re: Second round of advise on packaging python-csb

Hi Tomás,

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 04:42:19PM +0100, Tomás Di Domenico wrote:

> > Ideally, the documentation should be rebuilt from source.
>
> Right, things get a bit blurry for me here. When upstream releases a new
> version, they take a snapshot from their repository and build the
> release tarball. This process includes the creation of the docs from
> source. The tarball I use for the package, therefore, has the already
> cooked HTML files, and I happily committed them to the repository.

If Jakub wrote *ideally* than he most probably intended to write that we
should try to do so but there might be some good reasons to derive from
this ideal situation.  I admit, I usually try to rebuild the docs in my
packages and I do at least verify that I can *reproduce* all the docs.
However, sometimes there are good reasons to simply use the
autogenerated docs from upstream.  Without having checked the thing
myself your description sounds as if it could be the case here.

> Seeing as it's 24M of HTML files, it would most likely be a different
> package. However, I assume from your comment about rebuilding from
> source that it would not be as easy as taking the "docs" dir and
> packaging it separately?

IMHO the question whether you rebuild the docs from source and the fact
whether the docs will end up in a separate binary package are
orthogonal.  I'm a fan if separate docs and I think 24MB are some good
reason to do this.

> Another blurry point. I'm having a hard time understanding the
> separation of tasks between the tarball packaging done by upstream I
> described before, and my Debian packaging. Similar to the docs, the
> tests are run by upstream when they build the tarball. Is it common to
> also include these tests in Debian packages?

I agree with those other to people who answered this part of your mail
that having the tests packaged and thus ready for testing by the user
at the installation target (which is simply different from testing at
upstream side) is a very good idea and should be approached.  Please
also regard Jakub's (?) hint to DEP8.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--