Re: list of package for python_support -> dh_python2 ?

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:05:16PM +0200, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> > What is the process for deprecating python-support?  Who makes that
> > decision?
>
> I'd ask Joss, Sandro and Jakub what they think first (if they still
> don't think it's a good idea, it'll never happen)

The choice of technical helpers to make Python packages has an important
role in the yet-to-be-solved issues around Python governance in Debian.
Moving forward on that front, by reaching an agreement on a single
helper would be very beneficial and, undoubtedly, help Python packager
newbies in understanding how to package software.

Given the above statement by Piotr and given the follow-ups by Sandro
and Jakub, it seems to me that we are one step closer to deprecating
python-support.

Joss: can you comment on your stance on deprecating python-support?
Would you object to that?  I know you'd prefer patching upstream Python
to do the right thing™, but in the meantime converging on a single
helper might have beneficial effects independent to that (potential)
optimum.

Cheers.