Re: Skip Python 2.6 and use 2.7 as default in Squeeze?

On Sep 01, 2010, at 10:17 AM, Paul Wise wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 6:33 AM, Marian Sigler <mariansigler@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>> Given how much work is required to change the default Python, does
>>> it make sense to just skip Python 2.6 and use 2.7 as the default
>>> Python version in Squeeze?
>> What has emerged here? I see that it won't be the default, but will
>> it be at least included at all?
>
>As you can see here, python2.7 is only available in experimental:
>
>http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/python2.7.html
>
>As we are now in the squeeze freeze period it is unlikely that
>python2.7 will enter squeeze:
>
>http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/08/msg00000.html
>
>> For most python users (I assume) it will be of great benefit already
>> if just pure python without all those packages debian provides would
>> be available (also) in version 2.7.
>
>backports.org exists for packages needed by users of stable/squeeze
>that weren't yet ready for inclusion in testing/squeeze at the time of
>the freeze. It would probably be a good idea to use it for python3.2
>and python2.7 packages once squeeze is out.

What do you think about merging my changes to make Python 2.7 a supported
version in experimental, either before or after squeeze is released?  I guess
once squeeze is out, it should probably go in testing though.

I'd love to get 2.7 supported in debian soon-ish.  It'll make it much easier
to coordinate changes I'll have to make anyway in natty.

-Barry

P.S. Are any of y'all coming to UDS-N in Orlando Florida USA next month?  If
so, I'd love to have a face-to-face session or two on how we can improve
collaborations on Python development issues between the two distros.