Re: Numpy API change?

[Taking *@packages.qa.debian.org off Cc, in hope that everybody reads d-python@...]

* Yaroslav Halchenko <yoh@debian.org>, 2010-07-21, 16:17:
Fact is, we should find a way to tight the dependencies on
python-numpy, for example we can re-inforce some sort of "python-numpt
(>= MAJOR.MINOR), python-numpy (<< MAJOR.MINOR+1)" (where MAJOR is the
current major version number, and MINOR is the minor one). That means
that at each update of major/minor release of numpy, the depending
packages needs to be binNMU'ed or receive a sourceful upload.
Pardon possible ignorance -- but isn't all the situation with transition
from numpy 1.3 to 1.4 is actually the effect of absent proper transition
in Debian for numpy from 1.3 to 1.4?

It's true that upload of Numpy 1.4 wasn't done with proper care. However, even if we discovered the breakage earlier, we couldn't avoid sourceful uploads of the affected packages.

each future transition all dependent modules could easily be
tested to unveal bad cows:

if unittests (against installed version) are ok:
pass
elif re-build (including unittests against re-built version) is ok:
binNMU
else:
ring the bell

BinNMUs only make sense if there is a versioned dependency that will force upgrades and migration in the correct order. We cannot solve the current situation that way: e.g. if we binNMUed python-tables, its new binaries would immediately migrate to testing, which would make them as useless as they are currently in unstable.

--
Jakub Wilk