Re: Ideal directory structure?

On 31/01/10 02:05, Pietro Battiston wrote:
As far as I know, I'm not supposed to decide or even know how users will
install my application...
Unfortunately, all the files are supposed to go to sys.prefix (/usr on most Linux distros) [1]. I still don't understand why this has been patched to make it so difficult to understand. As a newbie, I look up distutils on the net, find the Python documentation, believe that files will be installed under sys.prefix and find that they are installed under sys.prefix + '/local'. Little do I know that somewhere in between somebody has done something that isn't mentioned in the one source I'd like to believe. It is clearly breaking official Python documentation.

I've read a little about why this has been done (some archives of Matthias' mails), but all of it went over my head.

Umang

[1] http://docs.python.org/distutils/setupscript.html#installing-additional-files