Re: please upload python2.6 to unstable

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 07:18:03AM +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:

> > 1) Upload python2.6 to unstable within the next 7 days, or
> > 2) RFA python2.6 and all relevant python packages within the next 7 days.
>
> Easy as it can be, just leave Python to Debian, and step over. I have
> no doubt there will be a group of people interested in Debian and
> Python that will take over the package (I'm one of them, I've already
> asked some other guy and I'm intended to ask some other to join).

In other teams I made very good experiences with the following approach:

   Dear maintainer of <package with problems as described above>: I
   would like to suggest to put this package under team maintenance.
   If I do not hear from you after <time limit - IMHO the limit of
   7 days as made above fits in this case> I assume you agree with
   my suggestion and will move on to use the mailing list address
   <packaging team address> as maintainer, put you under uploaders
   and add other maintainers to uploaders.

I have no idea what makes you think that even more angry mails on public
mailing list will solve the problem.  Matthias has obviousely recovered
from his illness if he has time for gcc-4.5 testing and is perfectly
able to give a statement to your suggestion.

And no, I will not become a member of Python packaging team - I just
wanted to share my experiences which worked quite good and in all cases
resulted in either a positive or no reaction of the maintainer in
question and thus solved the problem.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--